In the movies and real life 3 billboards seem to be the correct number to get a simple message out that people will remember. With the right message or questions to get people talking is what is necessary for this type of campaign to be successful.
The use of outdoor billboards to help increase the public knowledge of your business is one of the most cost effective means available. Depending on the size of the city or metropolitan area, hundreds to thousands will see your billboard each and every day.
This path of getting your message out to the public is considered mass marketing. To be most effective a broad message to entice more of the population to notice your message is the best path to take.
- The best message will only be 6 words or less in length.
- The message must be easy to read.
- A phrase that will catch the attention of those passing by is best.
- Large letters should be used.
- These are the easiest to read.
- Small letters or words are generally ignored or not noticed.
- The message should not be distracting.
- Distracting messages could cause accidents and should be avoided since most of the observers of the billboards are drivers on the road.
Branding a Product with an Outdoor Billboard
- 6 seconds or less is the time drivers have to view the message.
- The message should be easy to remember.
- In many instances a short slogan and an image is best to get remembered.
Many of the popular restaurants and fast food chains do this very successful with just a picture of a hamburger and the company’s branded symbol. This is simple, short and easy to remember.
The Number of Billboards in a Campaign
The more people that see your billboard, the better the advertising campaign will be. By placing an ad on a billboard of all or many of the major roads in a metropolitan area, more people will be viewing your message every day.
Static vs Moving Components
A static message relies on the words and image alone.
- Very popular.
- Lowest cost.
- Least noticed unless the image and message hit with the public.
Moving components is action that automatically catches the eyes of those passing by.
- Can be as simple as an arm moving back and forth on a static image.
- Costs are higher, but are noticed by more.
- When done correctly are very well remembered.
Never forget the company logo and make sure it stands out. It is the logo that is branded with the public.
- This has to be large enough on the outdoor billboard to be noticed but small enough not to be overpowering.
As in the movies and entertainment industry has recently shown, getting your message out to the public can be accomplished very successfully with outdoor billboards. The secret is to make the message short, sweet and to the point.